Thursday, February 9, 2012

Review: The Magician`s Nephew by C.S Lewis

The Magician`s Nephew
by C.S Lewis


The Book:
This is the absolut first book of the Chronicles of Narnia, written by C.S Lewis.
Even though it is the absolute first book of this famous series, it was not written first.
The first book he wrote in the series was the book, known as book 2 (or 1). The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, who first was published in 1950. Followed by Prins Caspian (book 4) and this one, also known as book 0,5. Since this one is a prequel.
All in all this series has 7 books. :)

ISBN13: 9780060764906
About 221 pages

Read: September 2011
Language: English
read it once in Norwegian for about 12 years ago, I think.

Summary: (From Goodreads)
There are a thousand stories in the land of Narnia.... And now a look for the classic series by C.S LewisWith the upcoming release of the much-anticipated movie of The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the With and the Wardrobe in fall 2005, interest in The Chronicles of Narnia is becoming even more widespread. Here is a bold and striking contemporary new look for this classic series, designed especially for adult readers Fifty years ago, C. S. Lewis created a land of wonder and enchantment in The Chronicles of Narnia. Since its first appearance, more than eighty-five million readers worldwide have come to love this definitive fantasy series. Now all seven perennially popular books are available in a brand-new adult trade paperback format

The Story: (smaller spoilers)
As told earlier this is a prequel til The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. In this story you hear about how Narnia was explored/found.
You meet to young kids called Polly and Digory, I think it was (so long since I read it now, and don`t have the book with me) But the two of them becomes friends, and decides to explore the attic. There are a secret hall leading through all the houses. The decided to walk from Polly`s house and over to Digory`s place, but when they arrive, they find out it`s his crazy uncle`s room. Digory`s crazy uncle is not fond of kids, and trap them into being his guinea pigs. They get a ring on their finger. And *Poff* they are gone. They are now in magic woods full of small ponds. Which they discover that the ponds leads to other worlds...

My Opinion:
This is not my favourite Narnia book, just to say it like that. I am a huge fan of the Narnia world. And looking forward to reading all the books again. Since it`s over 13 year since I watch the TV show. (I think, many many years ago, non less)
But for me this book was a bit slow.
But the book still deserves 4 out of 6 stars

Also check out:
- Add or read about on Goodreads
- My review of book 2 (in the future)
- Authors homepage

Have you read this book? Or what about any of the other books in this series?

~MoonStar~

2 comments:

  1. Ohh I'm a huge fan of the Narnia world,too! I read all the books in the series:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this series, I remember reading it a lot as a child. Thanks for the great review!

    Stephanie

    Please visit my WOW Post & if you haven’t already, enter my International Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete