Saturday, July 9, 2011

Review: Oh, my Gods by Tera Lynn Childs

Oh, my Gods by Tera Lynn Childs


The Book:
This is the first book in a series of only two books, called by the same name Oh, my Gods, written by Tera Lynn Childs. She is also know for the popular mermaid book Forgive my fins.
Second and last book in this series is called Goddess Boot Camp.
First book was released in 2008, and second book in 2009.
Both books are based on the Greek mythology. Written in a chick litt. related way :)

ISBN13: 9780525479420
224 pages

Read: June 2011
Language: English

Summary: (From Goodreads)
A modern girl´s comedic odyssey in a school filled with the descendants of Greek gods.

When Phoebe´s mom returns from Greece with a new husband and moves them to an island in the Aegean, Phoebe´s plans for her senior year and track season are ancient history. Now she must attend the uberexclusive academy, where admission depends on pedigree, namely, ancestry from Zeus, Hera, and other Greek gods. That´s right, they´re real, not myth, and their teen descendants are like the classical heroes´supersmart and superbeautiful with a few superpowers. And now they´re on her track team! Armed only with her Nikes and the will to win, Phoebe races to find her place among the gods.


The Story:
It´s about a young teenage girl called Phoebe who always dreamed about going to the same University as her two best friends. And joining the running competitions.
She love running and enjoy every minuet of it. She is on her way to win a scholar ship, when her mom bursts out with a secret.
She just came home from Greece, and while she was gone she got engaged. They are now moving.
This plan does not suit Phoebe well, since all her plans and dreams are washed away. Instead she is stuck on an Island in Greece, with her new so called family.
Turns out her new Stepfather is the principal at the school and her new stepsister, is an evil stepsister. And just when she thinks everything is going to be surviving. She finds out everyone at her school is descended by Greek Gods and have superpowers. How will that work out?
She is not only on a unfamiliar place, with no friends, family she does not like. But everyone else got superpowers. :S Will she survive...


My Opinion:
I absolutely adored this book. I love chick litt and I love paranormal, gods and superpowers :P So this was an amazing mix of everything I love :)
The book was easy and well written and fast read. And just when I finished the book I was like. Damn.. myself because I did not own the sequel. xD haha But soon I do :P

I choose to give this book 5 out of 6 stars
The reason it didn´t get 6 stars is that yeah.. Actually I don´t know. I just feel there could have been something more. But I don´t know what right now.
There is family drama, romance, friendship etc. Things you can really relate to. Though there aren´t that much action action. Which worked out great in this book. You just followed the main character and felt like you were her :)
So if you enjoy books who follows their life. And you like Chick litt. and gods, this is a book for you.

Also check out:
- Add or read about on Goodreads
- Review of book 2 (coming later)
- Authors homepage
- Review of small stories (coming soon)

Have you read this book? Or any of her other books :)
I just ordered Goddess Boot Camp, Forgive my Fins and pre-ordered Sweet Venom by the same author :)

I also found two small stories, for this story. Which I will be reading tomorrow. And post a small review of :)

~MoonStar~

No comments:

Post a Comment